Mountain Microenterprise Fund, Inc. is a microenterprise development organization with seven full-time employees, headquartered in Asheville, NC. MMF has been recognized nationally as one of the pioneer microenterprise programs in the country with extensive experience and knowledge in helping people create self-employment. MMF has been acknowledged for its achievements in several arenas:
- In 2005, MMF will be announced as a Top 50 Finalist in Fast Company’s Social Capitalist Awards.
- MMF Executive Director, Greg Walker-Wilson, has been elected chair (2005-07) of the Association for Enterprise Opportunity, the national microenterprise trade association of the more than 500 microenterprise organizations in the country.
- On October 25, 2004, MMF received the Chamber Sky High Growth Award for the 5th year in a row. The award was given out at the Folk Art Center in Asheville, NC.
- In 2004, MMF was given one of three Nonprofit Sector Steward Awards given out by the NC Center for Nonprofits. In their eyes, we further the public’s understanding and trust of the state’s nonprofit sector in the following ways: 1) Demonstrating organizational effectiveness & accountability; 2) Ensuring ethical practices; 3) Evaluating results and communicating results to the public and/or media; 4) Building good relations with diverse stakeholders; and 5) Effective advocation.
- In 2003, MMF Executive Director, Greg Walker-Wilson, was the first man to ever receive the Asheville Chamber of Commerce’s Athena Award. This award is given to a woman of high achievement or a man who supports women’s achievements in business.
- From 1999 through 2004, MMF received Site Excellence Awards for excellence in microlending from the NC Rural Economic Development Center.
- Since 1989, MMF has provided the Foundations business training course to over 1,900 individuals and has disbursed over 140 loans totaling over $350,000.